The sports fan consequence

After writing in here nearly every day for the past couple weeks, it feels like I haven't written in here for weeeeks! Not that anyone cares, except for me. By the way, it snowed today! Not a lot, but still snowed... Mixed feelings...

There really used to be a time when I drowned myself in the NBA. It started my senior year in high school out of the blue, really. I always grew up watching sports with my brothers and my dad, but I never got that into it. Except Derek Fisher's amazing shot. His .4 second shot against the Spurs.... My brothers and I were all watching it upstairs in our parents room and when he made it, we all screamed running down the stairs to our parents who were also watching it yelling, "Did you see that?! OH MY GOSH!! THAT WAS CRAZY!!!" Etc etc.

Anyway, starting my senior year in high school, I got hooked onto Blake Griffin and immediately became a "fan" of the Clippers. I watched every single game, every video, every interview, read every article... literally. It was really all that came out of my mouth. Luckily, my dad noticed and bought me two tickets to their last game of the season vs. Memphis in 2011. Clippers wonnnnn! Because Memphis was only playing their bench people [they were already a lock into the playoffs]. We were sitting pretty dang close to them heh The game was also on ESPN that night and Gene and I made it on the TV. One day, I'll hunt that game down and screenshot me and Gene on TV.
It's safe to say... I was OBSESSED with Blake Griffin back then hahaa
What a cheesy sign... I was thinking of the movie "Bruce Almighty" ya know? lol
Well, for the next few years, I watched every single Clippers game, unless I really couldn't. Even bought some expensive tickets every now and then. Every win, I was happy no matter how much homework/studying I had left, but when they lost... I was the grumpiest, least exciting person to be with. Justin even admitted yesterday that he's still kind of afraid to talk to me after the Clippers lose. That's how bad it can get, people. But then, I started working with BYU Athletics and starting "hanging out"/dating Justin, so I watched fewer and fewer games. And not watching the game when the Clippers lose has a huge impact on how I act. It doesn't bother me as much.

Well... up until this season, I haven't watched too many games. Now, I've watched every game of this new season, except for the Dallas game. That's what happens when you have some extra time to spare hahaa Yesterday, I watched the Clippers/Warriors game and goodness gracious, all those days of watching Clippers games came haunting back. I was on edge the whole time with clammy hands and everything. My heart was pounding the whole 48 minutes (which was more like 2.5 hours). And I guess a big part of that has to do with how much I dislike the Warriors. Ugh. And these pictures were taken by Justin last night while I was watching so intently... and that was only the first quarter!!!! hahahaha
Clippers lost... I didn't watch the last minute of the game, because I decided to close the computer and go with Justin to his lab. [I also didn't have the most faith in the Clippers. It was a bad feeling]. But not watching the last minute of a super close game made the world of difference. I was still somewhat upset, but got over it pretty quickly.

But let me tell you... being a sports fan has its consequences. Like, my blood pressure probably doubles. Sometimes I feel like I can feel it rising, but I don't know if your blood pressure is actually something you can feel. It's probably my heart rate, and my heart rate definitely doubles, especially in big games like last night. I bet I can actually see my heart beating... haaaa... so embarrassing. I mean... I consider myself a big Clippers fan, but I'm also trying not to get too invested, because I really feel like it takes a toll on my health loll There are a lot more people invested in their sports than I am, and it's a rough life! Yes... sports isn't everything, but it's fun and exciting! And when a team you really really like loses in a big game or in game 7 of a playoff series, it hurts! 

I don't know why I wrote this post. But my favorite sport is in season and it's fun getting into it again! Sports fans... I know what it feels like for your team to lose a game against a team you hate, I know what it feels like to lose a game 7 in the playoffs, I know what it feels like for your team to lose a series after being up 3-1. It ain't fun. But I guess that's all part of the excitement hahaa 

Comments

Popular Posts