It's the little things

“The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead. ” 
― Marjorie Pay Hinckley

I'm starting this blog mainly because I want to change (Yes, I know.. how selfish). But I want to become someone who lives with gratitude and not someone who goes through each day hoping for a better day tomorrow. I've been living a selfish life for the past 19 years, and I just thought it should be time for a change. Ha!

You're probably wondering why now? Why not 5 years ago... I ask myself the same thing. But this past week I've learned something about myself that needed to change. And that was how I reacted to life when these tiny obstacles were coming my way. Quizzes, midterms, and presentations were on overload this week. Have you heard of the saying, when it rains, it pours? Well, this week, it was pouring. The funny thing is, I know it's something I can get through. It happened multiple times, but I still react as if my life is the worst. And that's where the selfish part comes in. I don't think about others and only worry about myself. 

Now that it's all over (well, almost), I'm my happy self again, which may be why I'm trying to start this blog. I want to be able to appreciate the little things that come my way during the day or week. If I can't appreciate the little things, will I fully appreciate the big things I'm blessed with? Probably not. 

So here's a little thing that makes me happy. 
Being able to walk home after my classes on Tuesdays and Fridays. Why? Because those are the days my mom doesn't have work and I can call her and just talk. I am absolutely horrible when it comes to keeping in contact, even if it's with my parents. I rarely call just to see how they're doing, but I'm slowly learning to take the time to call my family when I have the time. It makes my days a lot better knowing they're doing fine and telling them I'm doing great, too. 

It really is the little things. 

Comments

Popular Posts