Balancing Act

This picture has nothing to do with what I want to say, but a post without a picture is not as fun haha

General Conference is just a couple weeks away!
I remember hearing somewhere that LDS members set goals 3x a year.
1. New Year
2. April General Conference
3. October General Conference

I think it's great!
But at times, it can be overwhelming for others.
We feel like we need to accomplish all these things, create all these wonderful habits, all by the next week. Is it possible? Sure.
Do I know anybody who has done this? NOPE!
I often wonder why some leaders tell us not to be too hard on ourselves, and others say that we need to wake up and get our butts moving! (obviously not quoted)
I guess what I'm trying to say is, some things said during conference just seem contradictory.
With years of asking myself, "Then what the heck am I supposed to be doing?".... I finally came to a conclusion. I think. haha

BALANCE!
Life is a balancing act.
We need to be able to balance everything in our life.
Obviously, we'll have lots of days where we "fail", but the point is to keep trying.
I remember somebody once giving me the perfect example.
If you have a wooden bucket that's enclosed with wooden slabs, the best way to fill that bucket with the most water possible is by having the same length of slabs all around the bucket.
 VS. 

As it is with life as well.
If we prioritize school above everything else (church, social life, family, work, etc), or anything else in that case, then we won't be able to experience everything the Lord has to offer.

I truly believe that if I give every ounce of my energy to Leah and not give time to myself, or spend time with Justin, I won't be the best mom I could be to Leah.
That goes with anything, by the way.
As humans, we need time to study, socialize, sleep...
We need time for ourselves, time with our families and friends, etc.

I'm lucky enough that Leah gives me enough free time, since she typically goes to bed at 6, but even during the day I need to balance my time and go out to do what I like and not trying to entertain her for 12 hours straight.

Does that make sense?

So, yes.
Don't be too hard on yourself.
But don't be too complacent.

Balancing all of our tasks and our time is how we live a balanced life - the most fulfilling life.

Comments

Popular Posts