Learn to Laugh

Growing up, I think smiling and laughing are some things I've learned to do. Who do I have to thank for that?

My mom. She never fails to lift those up around her despite the way she feels.

Am I always happy? No. But, I also know that things will get better. We can't control everything around us, but we really can control how we react to situations. 

One of my all-time favorite talks is by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Come what may, and love it." This talk is what broadened my perspective in life and to this day, I repeat it in my head every single day. 

Just last week, I had an interview for an internship and I came out so scatter-brained and nervous. Why? It wasn't your typical job interview. It was me versus 7 people. SEVEN. And let me tell you. It was SCARY. Of course I did my best to answer their questions and smile while being scared out of my pants, but I came out feeling a little low. I didn't feel like I did well in the interview, but their choice was no longer in my hands. They said they'd call me early in the next week and it was finally Wednesday afternoon and still no call. By this time I gave up and told myself that I probably didn't get the internship. But, once again, I thought... "Come what may, and love it." 

If I didn't get the internship, it wasn't meant to be. That's how I like to run my brain. But that night, around 9 p.m, I get a call saying I did get the internship and of course, I was excited out of my mind. 

Now, some may think (including myself), would I really still think like this if I really didn't get that internship? I think yes. I probably would have been sad for a little bit, but seriously, life goes on. I can't dwell on what I can't control, and that goes for everything. 

I feel like I've lost people who I was close with and it's unfortunate. Yes, I still care for them, but I can't drag them back into my life when they don't want to. 

That's why I embrace what's happened. Lingering in the past won't bring anything back, so learn to love your circumstances. Things will get better. That's not my promise, but His. 

Comments

Popular Posts