Because I Have Been Given Much

I've been thinking about it for a while now, but I realized exactly how blessed I am. I always acknowledged that I had a good life and that everything I needed, I had. Everything else I used to complain about was just... trivial.

I mean... I'm blessed in the sense that I have a wonderful and beautiful family, though not perfect. I'm getting a great education without having to worry about financial problems. I have great examples around me and great friends who I know I can rely on. I have the gospel in my life and I don't know what I would do without it.

In the long run, I have absolutely nothing I should be complaining about. I've gotten things in life that I don't deserve. And to this day, I wonder why I've been blessed with things other people probably deserve.

There is one thing in particular that sticks out. It may sound like such a small part of what really made me realize this, but being able to cover the BYU men's basketball team has been something I got, when I feel like I didn't really deserve it. No, it's not for a big news station. It's just for my school, but to have been given the opportunity to cover what a lot of other people want to cover has been a wonder for me. It could've simply been a coincidence, or maybe even luck. But there's a why to everything, isn't there?

Why do I keep being blessed with all this when I know other people deserve more? Those around me who live such righteous lives deserve more than me, right? They don't deserve to be struggling financially, socially, or spiritually.

So that's my question. Why am I being blessed with things I don't deserve?


Because I have been given much, I too must give.
Because of thy great bounty, Lord each day I live.
I shall divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see,
who has the need of help from me.
Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care…
I cannot see another’s lack and I not share-
my glowing fire, my loaf of bread-my roof’s safe shelter over head,
that he too may be comforted.
Because I have been blessed by thy great love dear Lord,
I’ll share thy love again according to thy word.
I shall give love to those in need. I’ll show that love by word and deed,
thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.

That's why.

Comments

Popular Posts